30th Anniversary Info, Dances & Funnies, Feb 16-20
There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good. ~Edwin Denby
Start off an insanely great weekend this Friday with Latin & Ballroom Night at Swing City. John will teach Cheeky Cha Cha Figures in the workshop at 8pm followed by a lively mix of Latin, Ballroom & Swing music from 9 to 11pm.
The insanity continues the following Friday when Dave Lang and the Insolent Rabble will play for us for my 30th Anniversary Swing Dance. As an added bonus Warren and Tara will teach the Swing workshop that evening. Advance tickets are still available for $12 each. Tickets are $15 at the door.
Tickets for my 30th Anniversary Big Band Formal Ball will go on sale on March 1st at 9am. Tickets will be sold for couples and for tables of ten. There will not be any "Single" tickets for this event so I encourage singles to start planning your table of ten now or consider asking someone to the event.
The U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club 30th Anniversary Ball takes place at the Edelweiss Club on Friday, March 4th (there will be no Swing City Dance that evening, but everyone is welcome at the U.Vic dance club event). Advance tickets are $10 and tickets at the door are $15 each. See more info below.
New classes for February start this week. There are some fun classes on the list - check out the list on the Lessons page and sign up today. Several single ladies needed for Intermediate 3 West Coast Swing and single men needed for Intermediate Rumba/Cha cha, intermediate Waltz and most of the medal classes. New class = Bronze 3 Samba - Tuesdays. Register with John at email@example.com.
My 30th Anniversary Dance Cruises to Europe and the Caribbean were locked in at the Canadian Dollar price last year - so these cruises are looking even better now with the Canadian dollar at 70 cents - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cruise line decides to change the great deal we have. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Beleza Shoes (Fernanda Oliveira) is having a sale. See Dance Shoes below for more info.
Ballroom Dances occur on the first and third Fridays of each month with Swing dances on the second and fourth Fridays at Swing City now. If you want to receive a free dance ticket to Swing City in your birthday month click on "update your preferences" at the bottom of the newsletter and enter your birthday info.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, February 16 ---------------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $4
Wednesday, February 17 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, February 19 -----------------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance 8-11pm Workshop: Cha Cha with John at 8pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, February 20 ----------
Event: VBDS Ballroom Dance 8:00-10:30pm Place: Les Passmore Centre, Hampton Road Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10/$12
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) John's 30th Anniversary Swing Dance featuring the Dave Lang Band and Swing workshop by Warren and Tara: Friday, February 26th at Swing City (Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara). $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Contact John for tickets at email@example.com or 250-920-7556.
2) U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club 30th Anniversary Semi-Formal Ball, Friday, March 4th at the Edelweiss Club. Mixer workshop at 8pm with John. Advance tickets are $10 - email firstname.lastname@example.org - while tickets at the door are $15 each.
3) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance: Saturday, March 5th at Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Cocktails 6 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Dance 8:30 pm. Members $35, Non-members $40. Tickets are advance payment only at: email@example.com. Details on that new dinner/dance night and other upcoming NBDS events are found on the 2016 calendar at: http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/calendar/cat_ids~7/
4) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
5) Pacifica Ball takes place on Saturday, April 11th. Tickets are on sale at http://www.rmts.bc.ca/events/pacifica-ball-risers-2016-victoria-conference-centre and at VBDS webpage www.pacificaball.ca. Full tables (10 seats) can be reserved by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. The seating chart is available on both websites for reference. Presenting performances by World Cup 10-Dance winners, and 7-time undefeated Canadian Standard, Latin, & 10-dance Champions Anton Belyayev & Antoaneta Popova, and former Canadian Showdance, Smooth, and Rhythm Champions Egor Shalvarov & Alla Profatilova.
6) The Island Fantasy Ball takes place in Nanaimo on May 8th and 9th. Tickets and full tables are available through John de Pfyffer at email@example.com. This is a great event featuring two days of competition and a full buffet dinner on Saturday. More information is available at http://www.islandfantasyball.com/
Dance Shoes in Victoria: 1) Beleza shoes is having its biggest sale of all time! One pair = $35 off and two pairs for same person = $120/off. When two friends come together they each get $50/off one pair. Selection varies by size and style. www.belezashoes.com. To book an appointment please contact Fernanda: firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-744-2635 2) Toes n Taps Dance Shoppe is proud to have played a significant role in Vancouver Island¹s Performing Arts community since 1994. Along with a wide selection of clothing, footwear and accessories, all Toes n Taps staff have extensive dance training and experience, and enjoy sharing their passion, expertise and knowledge. Member of the DanceWear Association of Canada, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, and the Better Business Bureau 1733 Cook St., Victoria BC (250) 480-0017 Find Toes n Taps On Facebook!
After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, British scientists found traces of copper wire dating back 200 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 150 years ago.
Not to be outdone by the Brits, in the weeks that followed, an American archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after, a story was published in the New York Times:
"American archaeologists, finding traces of 250-year-old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network 50 years earlier than the British".
One week later, Canadian Dept. of Mines and Resources in Newfoundland reported the following:
"After digging as deep as 30 feet in NE Canada, Jack Lucknow, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Jack has therefore concluded that 250 years ago, Canada had already gone wireless."
Just makes you insanely proud to be Canadian, doesn't it…