Christmas Dances & Funnies: Dec 20-25
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!
I am not sure if the happier I am, the more I dance, or the more I dance, the happier I am... Either way, I'll be dancing ~ Anonymous
Dance to be happy, or be happy and dance this Friday at Swing City. Enjoy a great time on the dance floor at our Christmas Dance and last dance of 2016. This is a semi-formal event featuring a Night Club Waltz workshop at 8pm and an amazing mix of Ballroom, Latin and Swing Music all evening.
Give the Gift of Dance this Christmas: Be a good Dancer (not a Donner or a Blitzen, but more like a Fred or a Ginger) and give your friends and family a reason to dance around the Christmas tree this year (treat yourself as well): Gift Certificates for Group Lessons or Private Lessons are now available - I am offering a great 5 for 4 private lesson dance card again this year. Email me at email@example.com or call 250-920-7556 for more info.
New classes for January are listed below and are now open for registration. They start very early in the new year so register early.
Vote for the Dance Party!! The NDP, Conservatives and the Green Party all seem to want proportional representation so the Greens put together a survey in response to the recent Federal Liberal Party on-line survey. This would allow wonderful parties like the Dance Party to exist. Dance your way through the survey - it only takes 2 minutes and asks much better questions than the Liberal survey: http://green.ca/the-real-questions
SINGLES: I have started a list for those dancers who do not have regular dance partners (a singles list). I plan to use this to help keep the classes balanced, advertise events of interest to singles and couples and set up classes and events for singles. Please note: Information on the sign up sheet is for my eyes only and will not be shared - you do not need to fill in all sections of the sign up form. If you would like to be on this list you can sign up for it at: http://eepurl.com/cfOn-n
Check out Advance Tickets below.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, December 20 -----------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective Christmas Social: 7:45 to 9:45pm
Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood
Wednesday, December 21 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, December 23 ----------
Event: Swing City Christmas Dance: 8-11pm
Workshop: Night Club Waltz with John at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, December 24 ----------
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, December 25 - Merry Christmas!!
Event: Dance to celebrate everything, all day.
Place: Your House
Dance Floor: Carpet, Linoleum, Hardwood, Couch, Bed, Table...
Admission: Yes, admit it - you love to dance
Advance Tickets - New Year's Eve:
1) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Sold Out - BUT If there are tickets that magically come available then they are $75 each and are available from the VBDS at their practices.
2) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ball - Saturday, December 31st, at Nanoose Place Community Centre 2925 Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose BC 9pm–1am Annual New Year’s Eve Party Dance with DJ Andy Mundy. Licensed bar. Pot luck finger foods and/or appetizers – please bring some festive edibles to share. Admission: $20 – includes complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets MUST be either purchased or reserved in advance. For tickets email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) Red Ginger New Year's Eve Dinner & Dance Party - Saturday, December 31st, 7pm - 12:30am (doors open at 6:30 pm) at the Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Road. Includes a fantastic hot buffet dinner with a wide variety of choices, door prizes, party favors and bubblies at midnight! Music by DJ Roman Yue. Advance tickets are $60 per person. Please contact Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at email@example.com.
4) Latin New Year's Eve Dance - Dance to the live tunes of two latin bands: Latin Project & Edgar y Los Amigos on Saturday, December 31st, 9:30pm-1:30am. At the Ukrainian Cultural Centre. Tickets are $15. Visit http://www.LatinProject.Ca for more info.
5) New Year's Eve Dinner/Dance at the Edelweiss Club with the SBahn Band: Buffet Dinner by Connoissseur Catering - 7pm-1am. $170/couple members, $190/couple guests. Tickets –Victoria.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250 383-4823.
6) New Year's Eve Dinner/Dance at the Da Vinci Centre with MC2: Doors open at 6pm with dinner at 7pm catered by the Island Culinary Service. Dancing to MC2 from 9pm to 1am. Tickets are $80pp from 250-383-8041.
7) New Year's Eve Dinner/Dance at The Esquimalt Legion with "Yesterday's Wine" - this is the last New Year's Dance at this venue before it closes down. Tickets are $40 each - 250-385-0213 or email@example.com.
8) New Year's Eve Dance at Pro Patria Legion with Ron King - Tickets are $25 in advance - 250-384-7814 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christmas Quotes and Reindeer Trivia:
The office Christmas party is a great opportunity to catch up with people you haven’t seen for 20 minutes. ~ Julius Sharpe
The Holidays are the one time you get to experience all the excitement of rush hour traffic in the mall parking lot. ~ Melanie White
Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money. ~ Anon
“One good thing about Christmas shopping is it toughens you for the January sales.” ~ Grace Kriley
If you can’t wrap Christmas presents well, at least make it look like they put up a good fight. ~ Anon
According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December. Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring. Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl. We should have known... ONLY women would be able to drag a fat man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.
Merry Christmas & Happy New