Dances and Funnies - Jan 19-23
Stifling an urge to dance is bad for your health - it rusts your spirit and your hips. - Terri Guillemets
John's Dance Rust Removal Service is now open for all of your dancing needs. Celebrating 30 years of good-humoured, positive, technical relief from dance-rust build-up. Check out the wide range of workshops, dances and classes then top it all off with a dab of funnies to loosen the joints, get your spirits soaring and keep you on your toes. For emergency dance floor assistance contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Swing City was packed again on Friday with a very fun workshop with Warren and Tara. There was definitely no rust on anyones hips after that dance.
This Friday, for the first time in 19 years, the workshop will be Waltz with John at 8pm at Swing City with lively Ballroom, Latin and Swing music following to lift your spirits and keep those hips in dancing shape. It looks like another fun party weekend coming up. Reservations for groups are always accepted. I look forward to seeing you there.
New classes for February are now listed on the Lessons page and are open for registration. After numerous requests, I am offering Night Club Waltz - the most romantic dance on the planet and one of the most important rust free social dances you will ever learn. You can also pick up a wide variety of new moves and technique in other great dances as well.
Tickets for the "30th Anniversary Almost Semi-Formal Mostly Social Ball" are already sold out. Get in touch with me soon if you want to put your name on the wait list to celebrate my 30th with me on the 30th. This is a definite must to remove unsightly rust. See Advance Tickets below for more information on this event and several others.
"Toes 'n' Taps Dance Shoppe invites you to join them Saturday, January 30th from 10am - 5pm for their 6th Annual 'Dancer Appreciation Day', in Celebration of Dance Days! Receive Dancer Dollar Coupons to Spend In-Store, Enter Amazing Prize Draws & Enjoy Free Gourmet Coffee!" 1733 Cook St.
My 30th Anniversary dance cruises to Europe and the Caribbean were locked in at the Canadian Dollar price last year - so these cruises are looking even better now with the Canadian dollar at 69 cents - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cruise line decides to change the great deal we have. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Check out my website if you have missed recent news (funnies) or want more information: htty://dancevictoria.typed.com/
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, January 19 -----------------------------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm. Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road. Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood. Admission: $4
Wednesday, January 20 ---------------------------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, January 22 -----------------------------------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance 8-11pm Workshop: Waltz with John at 8pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10
Event: Not Your Usual Ballroom Dance 7-9pm Place: St. George's Anglican Church, 3909 St. George’s Lane Dance Floor: Medium/Wood Admission: By donation firstname.lastname@example.org
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, January 23 ----------------------
Event: Liz Ballroom Dance 8-10:30pm Place: Commonwealth Place, Elk Lake Drive Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $12
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) 30th Anniversary Almost Semi-Formal Mostly Social Ball: Saturday, January 30th at the Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara. Social Ballroom Dance from 8 to 11pm. Bartender in attendance so please bring your ID so we know who you are. SOLD OUT! If you want to put your name on the wait list just in case please contact John at 250-920-7556 or at email@example.com.
2) Chinese New Year Dinner Dance – Year of Monkey on Saturday, February 6th, 2016 at the Les Passmore Centre – 286 Hampton Road: 6:30-10:30pm. $25 Advance Reservation required. Contact Roman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rennie at 250-391-1178
3) Victoria West Coast Swing Collective presents Keith and Holly Foraie, teaching 3 West Coast Swing workshops, and a fun evening of dance to practice your new skills! Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 2 afternoon workshops start at 3 PM. Evening workshop starts at 7:30 PM. At 3281 Harriet Road, Eastern Star Hall beside Rudd Park West of Uptown. Cost $30.00 for all 3 workshops and the dance! Numbers limited, so don’t delay and be disappointed. Email email@example.com with “register me” in the subject line and please include your name and phone number in the body of the email.
4) Valentines' Dance at the Da Vinci, Saturday, Feb 13th, 9pm-1am with music by Paulasonic. $15/person. Tickets available from Giovanna at 250-474-5416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
More quotables from "Maxine" of Crabby Road:
The economy is so bad, Motel Six won’t leave the light on anymore…
You know you’re starting to get up there in years when you have to use a shopping cart at the pharmacy.
You know you’re getting old when you have to wear your glasses in the shower to shave your legs.
My doctor’s concerned about my high blood pressure. I told him next time don’t leave me sitting in the waiting room for two hours.
Know what you call people who believe in letting a smile be their umbrella? Wet!
I don’t know what I’d do without coffee… probably twenty five to life in the state penitentiary.
Everything slows down with age, except the time it takes cake and ice cream to reach your hips.
A female president would only be a good idea if you wanted the country run right for some reason.
Everyone is entitled to My Opinion.
I’m not grouchy by nature. It takes constant effort.
I can’t afford a cashmere sweater, so I glued cat hair to an old T-shirt.
The only time I go the extra mile is when I don’t want to show up early for work.
I’m busy right now. Can I ignore you later?
I used to have Saturday Night Fever. Now I have Saturday Night Hot Flashes.
Someday I want to be perfect; Until then I’ll be happy being INCREDIBLE!
If each day is a gift, I’d like to know where to return Mondays.