Dances, Classes, Contest Winners & Funnies: Feb 10-14
Dance is music made visible. - George Balanchine
30 people won free tickets to dance by entering my contest last month. The winners are visible below.
Happy Birthday to 8 dancers who celebrate birthdays in February - you also get a free ticket to Swing City this month. If you want a free dance at Swing City in your birthday month you simply need to update your profile to include your birthday (month & day only). Click on http://eepurl.com/bLwKVH to sign up for my newsletter or update your profile to add in your birthday. You can also change how you receive this newsletter - in plain text or in HTML or let me know if you are interested in Dance Cruises. Happy Birthday to: Laurene, Lourdes, Ines, Debi, Pauline K, John R, Chris H and Mildred.
This Friday Sam Jackson will be back to teach you more fun West Coast Swing in the workshop at Swing City at 8pm. DJ Johnny deP has some entertaining Swing music to keep you dancing from 9 to 11pm.
The Swing Band Dave Lang and the Insolent Rabble will play for us on Friday, February 26th for my 30th Anniversary Swing Dance. As an added bonus Warren and Tara will teach the Swing workshop that evening. Advance tickets are now on sale and are going fast: $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Single men especially need to buy your tickets soon.
New classes for February are listed on the lessons page - register soon as some classes are almost full. There are some fun classes on the list - I look forward to seeing you in at least one of them.
Tickets for my 30th Anniversary Formal Ball will go on sale on March 1st at 9am. Tickets will be sold for couples and for tables of ten. There will not be any "Single" tickets for this event so I encourage singles to consider asking someone to the event or start planning your table of ten now.
The U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club will celebrate its 30th Anniversary with a Ball at the Edelweiss Club on Friday, March 4th (there will be no Swing City Dance that evening, but everyone is welcome at the U.Vic dance club event). Advance tickets are $10 while tickets at the door are $15 each. See more info below.
My 30th Anniversary dance cruises to Europe and the Caribbean were locked in at the Canadian Dollar price last year - so these cruises are looking even better now with the Canadian dollar at 70 cents - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cruise line decides to change the great deal we have. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Congratulations to the 30 winners of free tickets to Swing City: Leroy Hop Wo, Karen Lam, Bob Klassen, Agnes Amundrud, Brian Mason, Yvonne Krawchuk, Salvador Lopez, Akiko Odagawa, Robert Celiz, Robin Evans, Joseph Maiello, Rosalynne Pfluger, Don Schnarr, Ella Young, Don Bhandar (he never wins), Samantha Hewer, Bob Primeau, Heather McInnes, Chris McIntosh, Corinne Susut, Ross Bruce, Rosanna Gustafson, Alan Lowe, Marg Rose, Larry Vivian, Marilyn Thompson, Rick Town, Rosemary Tulett, Adam Grosser and Mary Shiffer.
Dances for the next week:
Wednesday, February 10 ------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, February 12 ----------
Event: Swing City Swing Dance 8-11pm Workshop: West Coast Swing with Sam Jackson at 8pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, February 13 --------
Event: Liz' Valentine's Dance 7:30-10:30pm Place: Commonwealth Place Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $9 dance/$12 workshop & dance
Event: Da Vinci Valentine's Dance: 9-11pm Place: Da Vinci Centre, Bay St Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $15 - see advance tickets
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Jutland Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, February 14 ---------
Event: PMP Valentine's dance with Kingmixers: 7–10pm Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum. Admission: $10
1) Valentines' Dance at the Da Vinci, Saturday, Feb 13th, 9pm-1am with music by Paulasonic. $15/person. Tickets available from Giovanna at 250-474-5416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
2) John's 30th Anniversary Swing Dance featuring the Dave Lang Band and Swing workshop by Warren and Tara: Friday, February 26th at Swing City (Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara). $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Contact John for tickets at email@example.com or 250-920-7556.
3) U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club 30th Anniversary Semi-Formal Ball, Friday, March 4th at the Edelweiss Club. Advance tickets are $10 - email firstname.lastname@example.org - while tickets at the door are $15 each.
4) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance: Saturday, March 5th at Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Cocktails 6 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Dance 8:30 pm. Members $35, Non-members $40. Tickets are advance payment only at: email@example.com. Details on that new dinner/dance night and other upcoming NBDS events are found on the 2016 calendar at: http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/calendar/cat_ids~7/
5) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
6) Pacifica Ball tickets are now on sale at http://www.rmts.bc.ca/events/pacifica-ball-risers-2016-victoria-conference-centre and at VBDS webpage www.pacificaball.ca. Full tables (10 seats) can be reserved by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. The seating chart is available on both websites for reference. Presenting performances by World Cup 10-Dance winners, and 7-time undefeated Canadian Standard, Latin, & 10-dance Champions Anton Belyayev & Antoaneta Popova, and former Canadian Showdance, Smooth, and Rhythm Champions Egor Shalvarov & Alla Profatilova.
A day in the life of a dancer:
Thanks to my extensive knowledge of Latin dance moves I was able to avoid a major coffee spill.
Please give me at least 4 hours of sleep tonight so I can dance for 16 hours straight tomorrow.
Decided to listen to music while I cleaned. Spent the afternoon dancing around instead.
So I took your advice and danced like no one was watching. My court date is next month.
Life without Ballet would be pointless.
"Why didn't you answer my call?" "Because I was dancing to your ringtone..." (obviously...)
People will stop asking you stupid questions if you answer back in interpretive dance.
I danced like no one was watching, but someone was watching, thought I was having a seizure and called an ambulance.
Yeah, we all know you sing in the shower but guess what? I dance in the shower. Beat that!
I went Line Dancing last night. Well,... it was a roadside sobriety test... Same thing.