Dances, Classes & Funnies: Jan 27-31
There was definitely poetry in motion at Swing City on Friday - it is great to see so many creative feet in Victoria these days.
This Friday is Swing Night at Swing City with an East Coast Swing workshop by John at 8pm with a lively mix of East Coast and West Coast Swing with a dash of Latin and Slow Dancing at the Swing Dance following.
On Saturday, January 30th I celebrate 30 years of teaching Social Dance in Victoria. The event is sold out, but I will have more 30th Anniversary Events in the months to come.
In February the Swing Band Dave Lang and the Insolent Rabble will play for us on the last Friday of the month for my 30th Anniversary Swing Dance. As an added bonus Warren and Tara will teach the Swing workshop that evening. Advance tickets go on sale February 1st ($12 in advance and $15 at the door).
New classes for February are now listed on the "Lessons" page and are open for registration. There are some fun classes on the list - I look forward to seeing you in at least one of them.
"Toes 'n' Taps Dance Shoppe invites you to join them Saturday, January 30th from 10am - 5pm for their 6th Annual 'Dancer Appreciation Day', in Celebration of Dance Days! Receive Dancer Dollar Coupons to Spend In-Store, Enter Amazing Prize Draws & Enjoy Free Gourmet Coffee!" 1733 Cook St.
My 30th Anniversary dance cruises to Europe and the Caribbean were locked in at the Canadian Dollar price last year - so these cruises are looking even better now with the Canadian dollar at 69 cents - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cruise line decides to change the great deal we have. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dances for the next week:
Wednesday, January 27 ---------------------------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, January 29 -----------------------------------
Event: Swing City Swing Dance 8-11pm Workshop: East Coast Swing with John at 8pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10
Event: Not Your Usual Ballroom Dance 7-9pm Place: St. George's Anglican Church, 3909 St. George’s Lane Dance Floor: Medium/Wood Admission: By donation email@example.com
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, January 30 ----------------------
Event: 30th Anniversary Social Ball 8-11pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: SOLD OUT
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, January 31 -------------------------
Event: PMP dance with Ron Sera: 7–10pm Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum. Admission: $10
1) John's 30th Anniversary Almost Semi-Formal Mostly Social Ball: Saturday, January 30th is SOLD OUT. The next 30th Anniversary special event is coming soon. (See #5 below)
2) Chinese New Year Dinner Dance – Year of Monkey on Saturday, February 6th, 2016 at the Les Passmore Centre – 286 Hampton Road: 6:30-10:30pm. $25 Advance Reservation required. Contact Roman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rennie at 250-391-1178
3) Victoria West Coast Swing Collective presents Keith and Holly Foraie, teaching 3 West Coast Swing workshops, and a fun evening of dance to practice your new skills! Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 2 afternoon workshops start at 3 PM. Evening workshop starts at 7:30 PM. At 3281 Harriet Road, Eastern Star Hall beside Rudd Park West of Uptown. Cost $30.00 for all 3 workshops and the dance! Numbers limited, so don’t delay and be disappointed. Email email@example.com with “register me” in the subject line and please include your name and phone number in the body of the email.
4) Valentines' Dance at the Da Vinci, Saturday, Feb 13th, 9pm-1am with music by Paulasonic. $15/person. Tickets available from Giovanna at 250-474-5416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
5) John's 30th Anniversary Swing Dance featuring the Dave Lang Band and Swing workshop by Warren and Tara: Friday, February 26th at Swing City (Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara). $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Contact John for tickets at email@example.com or 250-920-7556.
6) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance: Saturday, March 5th at Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Cocktails 6 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Dance 8:30 pm. Members $35, Non-members $40. Tickets are advance payment only at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on that new dinner/dance night and other upcoming NBDS events are found on the 2016 calendar at: http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/calendar/cat_ids~7/
7) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
8) Pacifica Ball tickets are now on sale at http://www.rmts.bc.ca/events/pacifica-ball-risers-2016-victoria-conference-centre and at VBDS webpage www.pacificaball.ca. Full tables (10 seats) can be reserved by contacting email@example.com. The seating chart is available on both websites for reference. Presenting performances by World Cup 10-Dance winners, and 7-time undefeated Canadian Standard, Latin, & 10-dance Champions Anton Belyayev & Antoaneta Popova, and former Canadian Showdance, Smooth, and Rhythm Champions Egor Shalvarov & Alla Profatilova.
The missing caption beside the picture in my last newsletter - "Dance teachers wearing cartoon ties give the best hugs." (Now you have to find that last newsletter...)
Every day, thousands of innocent plants are killed by vegetarians. Help end the Violence. Eat Bacon.
The fact that there is a Highway to Hell and only a Stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.
So when is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else by what comes out of my mouth.
I hate it when the voices in my head go silent... I never know what they are planning.
I'm not LAZY. I just REALLY enjoy doing nothing.
I never argue. I just explain why I'm right.
I speak my mind because it hurts to bite my tongue all of the time.