Dances, Classes & Funnies: March 1-6
Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. ~William James
Is humour a common, strange, odd, sixth or sick sense? Whatever it is, keep your senses in good health and get them dancing daily - most things are more enjoyable if approached with our funny bones intact. The Ucluelet Style Cha Cha I taught on Feb 19th at Swing City is a good example: a few people told me that they hadn't laughed so hard in a long time - and they learned new and interesting moves too - definitely easier to do when having fun.
Tickets for my 30th Anniversary Big Band Formal Ball will go on sale on Tuesday, March 1st at 9am. The Ball will be on Saturday, March 26th featuring the Commodores Big Band from 8 to 11pm. It's time for some Formal Fun. See Advance Tickets below for information on reserving tickets.
The U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club 30th Semi-Formal Anniversary Ball takes place at the Edelweiss Club on Friday, March 4th. Co-sponsored by Swing City, the U.Vic Dance Club event is open to everyone - workshop with John at 8pm. Advance tickets are $10 and $15 at the door. See more info below.
New classes for March and April are listed on the Lessons page. The Intermediate Rumba/Cha cha class starts March 4th. There is still room for couples and single men for this series.
Tickets for Pacifica Ball & Island Fantasy Ball are on sale now. I have 3 tables set aside for the Island Fantasy Ball on Saturday and Sunday, May 7th & 8th - let me know if you would like to join one of these tables. See Advance Tickets below for more details.
Can you billet dancers from up island who may be coming to Victoria for my 30th Anniversary Ball or for the Pacifica Ball? Make new dance friends and then have a place to stay if you go up to the Island Fantasy Ball or various NBDS summer dance camps. Email me to let me know if you have room in your house for more dancers - email@example.com.
The second of my 30th Anniversary Northern Europe Dance Cruises is... SOLD OUT!! There is still some space on the first cruise, but those cabins are only available until mid-March. The 2017 Caribbean Dance Cruise is filling up quickly - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cabins are gone. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, March 1 ---------------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $4
Wednesday, March 2 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, March 4 -----------------
Event: U.Vic Dance Club 30th Anniversary Ball: 8-11pm Workshop: Mixer with John at 8-8:30pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10 in advance/$15 at the door
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, March 5 ----------
Event: Serenade To Spring Ballroom Dance Party 8-10:30pm Place: Les Passmore Centre 286 Hampton Road Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10 p.p.
Event: NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance 6-11pm Place: Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $35, $40. See Advance Tickets
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, March 6 ---------
Event: PMP dance with MC2: 7–10pm Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum. Admission: $10
1) U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club 30th Anniversary Semi-Formal Ball, Friday, March 4th at the Edelweiss Club. Mixer workshop at 8pm with John. Advance tickets are $10 from John or email email@example.com Tickets at the door are $15 each.
2) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance: Saturday, March 5th at Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Cocktails 6 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Dance 8:30 pm. Members $35, Non-members $40. Tickets are advance payment only at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on that new dinner/dance night and other upcoming NBDS events are found on the 2016 calendar at: http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/calendar/cat_ids~7/
3) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
4) John's 30th Anniversary Big Band Formal Ball - Saturday, March 26th featuring the Commodores 18 Piece Big Band in the SJ Willis Auditorium from 8 to 11pm. Desserts, non-alcoholic refreshments and plenty of dance music included. Tickets go on sale on March 1st at 9am when you can reserve by email at email@example.com. Tickets ($30pp) will be sold for couples and for tables of ten. Please pick up your tickets by March 20th.
5) Pacifica Ball takes place on Saturday, April 11th. Tickets are on sale athttp://www.rmts.bc.ca/events/pacifica-ball-risers-2016-victoria-conference-centre and at VBDS webpage www.pacificaball.ca. Full tables (10 seats) can be reserved by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. The seating chart is available on both websites for reference. Presenting performances by World Cup 10-Dance winners, and 7-time undefeated Canadian Standard, Latin, & 10-dance Champions Anton Belyayev & Antoaneta Popova, and former Canadian Showdance, Smooth, and Rhythm Champions Egor Shalvarov & Alla Profatilova.
6) The Island Fantasy Ball takes place in Nanaimo on May 8th and 9th. Tickets and full tables are available through John de Pfyffer at email@example.com. This is a great event featuring two days of competition and a full buffet dinner on Saturday. More information is available at http://www.islandfantasyball.com/
Maxine in Church
Four worms and a lesson to be learned!!!!
A minister decided that a visual demonstration would add emphasis to his Sunday sermon.
Four worms were placed into four separate jars. The first worm was put into a container of alcohol. The second worm was put into a container of cigarette smoke. The third worm was put into a container of chocolate syrup. The fourth worm was put into a container of good clean soil.
At the conclusion of the sermon, the Minister reported the following results:
The first worm in alcohol . . . . . . Dead The second worm in cigarette smoke . . .Dead . Third worm in chocolate syrup . . . . Dead. Fourth worm in good clean soil . . .Alive …
So the Minister asked the congregation, "What did you learn from this demonstration?"
Maxine was sitting in the back, quickly raised her hand and said... "As long as you drink, smoke and eat chocolate, you won't have worms!"
That pretty much ended the service!