Dances & Funnes: Feb 28-Mar 4
Dance is the purest expression of every emotion, earthly and spiritual ~ Anna Pavlova
Express yourself on every level with Canadian Tango this Friday. It's time for another round of the fun, expressive and passionate Canadian Tango at Swing City.
Classes for February and March start this week. Most have been delayed one week. See the list on the lessons page. There are new classes and some changes to start dates!!
Happy Birthday to 21 dancers who celebrate birthdays in March - you get a free ticket to Swing City this month. Happy Birthday to: Aaron Q, Akiko O, Bill M, Cora G, Ernie U, Gail G, Liz B, Harry L, Joan D, Judy E, Karen S, Maureen O, Monika M, Ramona S, Raymond R, Rene A, Ted W, Therese F, Tyler M, Velma S and Yvonne K.
If you want a free dance at Swing City in your birthday month you simply need to update your profile to include your birthday (month & day only) by clicking on the "update your preferences" link at the bottom of the newsletter.
Island Fantasy Ball tickets for Victoria tables are almost gone. This huge competition (fun to watch or participate in) is held in Nanaimo in May. Join us at the Victoria tables & save money (no sales outlet fees). I have an extension on selling these tickets until the end of March. I have almost sold all of the tables allotted to me so contact me soon.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, February 28 -----------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm
Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood
Wednesday, March 1 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, March 3 ----------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance: 8-11pm
Workshop: Canadian Tango with John at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, March 4 ----------
Event: Spring Fling Dinner & Dance 5:30pm-midnight
Place: Bowen Park Rec. Centre, Bowen Road, Nanaimo
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
For more details http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Bert Richman building, 4105 Lambrick Way
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner & Dance: A fun event that several dancers from Victoria have enjoyed for years. Saturday, March 4, Bowen Park, 500 Comox Road, Nanaimo. Cocktails and appies at 5 pm, followed by a light buffet dinner at 6 pm Dance from 7:30 to 11:30. Tickets: Dinner: $40, After dinner: $20. Email email@example.com See http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca for menu and more details.
2) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance: Saturday, March 18, 2017, featuring Younger Than Yesterday playing 60’S, 70’s & 80’S dance music from 8:30pm to 12:30am at the Langford Legion, 761 Station Rd in Langford. Advance Tickets are $20 - at the Langford Legion - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria phone 250-384-3622.
3) The Victoria West Coast Swing Collective presents: Spring Tease - 3 workshops plus dance on Sat, March 11. Styling workshop for follows (2 hrs) on Sunday, March 12. Elizabeth Hudgins from Vancouver will teach all workshops. $40.00 day pass for Saturday starting at 3:30 PM (2 workshops) The evening workshop starts at 7:30 PM followed by open dancing from 8:30 till 11 PM. Silver Threads Centre, 286 Hampton Road. Sunday pass is $25 for follows. To register: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Register Me’ in the subject line and please include your name and phone number in the body of the email. Payment is due on or before the March 7th practice.
4) U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club Year-End Ballroom Dance: Friday, March 24th at Dance Victoria, 2750 Quadra Street. Advance tickets are $10 each and available from John de Pfyffer at email@example.com
5) The Island Fantasy Ball will celebrate its Silver Anniversary on May 6th and 7th at Beban Park in Nanaimo. Advance tickets for Victoria tables for this gala competition are available from John until the end of March - there are only a few left for Victoria tables so get your tickets soon. This is a full weekend competition with top dancers from around the world competing in Ballroom and Latin. Competitions are held all day and evening on Saturday and all day on Sunday. I have front row and second row tickets available for both days. Seating and ticket details are available on line at: http://www.islandfantasyball.com/tickets/
A group of professional people posed this question to a group of 4 to 8 year-olds: 'What does love mean?'
'When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.. So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.' Rebecca- age 8
'When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.' Billy - age 4
'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.' Karl - age 5
'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.' Chrissy - age 6
'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.' Terri - age 4
'Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK.' Danny - age 8
'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and just listen.' Bobby - age 7
'If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate. ' Nikka - age 6
'Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.' Noelle - age 7
'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.' Tommy - age 6
'During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling. He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.' Cindy - age 8
'My mommy loves me more than anybody. You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night.' Clare - age 6