Dances & Funnies: Dec 25-Jan 1
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I added a few Christmas quotes below to keep your funny bones in shape.
The Swing City Christmas Dance on Friday was a blast. Our next Swing Cityevent will be on January 8th with guest instructor Samuel Jackson (the dancer - not to be confused with the actor of the same name). Sam will teach West Coast Swing in the workshop at 8pm.
January marks my 30th Anniversary of teaching in Victoria and I will be inviting a number of guest instructors to teach at Swing City during the year. In 1986 I started the U.Vic Ballroom Dance Club which revived the Ballroom Dance scene here and where Salsa, Lindy Hop, Argentine Tango and West Coast Swing were introduced to the city. A number of dance communities have sprung up out of the U.Vic club since then and it has been great to see the dance scene continue to grow. I look forward to seeing you on the dance often in 2016.
New Year’s Dance tickets are still available for some events - see list below.
My private lesson special coupons are on sale for Christmas - get 5 private lessons for the price of 4 - a great gift for that dance partner of yours (or even for yourself). Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 250-920-7556 for more information.
New Classes for January are open for registration.
If you would like information on my 30th Anniversary dance cruises to Europe or the Caribbean please email me at email@example.com.
Friday, December 25 ------------------------------
Monday, December 28 -------------------------------
Event: VBDS Open House Mix & Mingle Social Dance, 7:30-9:30pm Open to all current, past and future members of the Society Place: Cadboro Bay United Church, 2625 Arbutus Rd. Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: Free with donated non-perishable item for the local food bank.
Thursday, December 31 -----------------------------
Event: Edelweiss Club New Year’s Eve Big Band Dinner/Dance 6pm-1am Featuring: the Commodores Big Band on Thursday, Place: Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara. Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood. Admission: $95/person. Tickets in advance at 250-383-4823.
Event: VBDS New Year’s Eve Dance Featuring: Chris Millington Band Place: Commonwealth Place Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $89 or $99/person in advance only
Event: NBDS New Year’s Eve Ballroom Dance Celebration, 9pm-1am Place: Nanoose Place Community Centre, Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $20/person in advance only (plus potluck item)
Event: New Year’s Eve Dance in Courtenay, 8:00 pm to 1:00 am Place: Native Sons Hall in Courtenay. Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $45 in advance only.
Event: New Year’s Eve Dinner & Dance, 7pm-1am Featuring: MC2. Place: Da Vinci Centre Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $80pp on Advance
Event: New Year’s Eve Dance (8:30pm) or Dinner & Dance (6pm) Featuring: Rukus Place: Pro Patria Legion Dance Floor: Medium/Small/Hardwood Admission: $40 Dance, $70 Dinner & Dance Must be a Legion Member or accompanied by a Legion Member
Event: New Year's Eve Dinner & dance SOLD OUT Featuring: The City Slickers and D J Danny Correia Place: Our Lady of Fatima Hall, 4635 Elk Lake Drive Dance Floor: Medium/Linoleum Admission: SOLD OUT
Friday, January 1 ----------------------
Happy New Year!!
1) Edelweiss Club New Year’s Eve Big Band Bash featuring the Commodores Big Band on Thursday, December 31st at the Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara. $95/person. Tickets available at 250-383-4823.
2) VBDS New Year’s Eve Dance with Chris Millington Band at Commonwealth Place on Thursday, December 31st. Tickets are $89 for members and $99 for non-members. Call 250-721-5483 to purchase your tickets.
3) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ballroom Dance Celebration, December 31st at Nanoose Place Community Centre, Northwest Bay Road, Nanoose 9pm-1am non-stop party dance music with DJ Andy Mundy. Complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets now on sale email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more details www.ballroomnanaimo.ca
4) Bring in New Year’s Eve like James Bond, or your favorite spy, villain or sultry vixen. 8pm to 1 am at the Native Sons Hall in Courtenay. Ballroom, Swing, Latin, Tango and more. Appetizers & Hors d'oeuvres & Complimentary Champagne. Tickets are $45: call Cathy 250-703-3057 or go to: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1j3wuncVESTo3WBMhaPXvo1qEKlhdn5xNijSWggMMQIQ/viewform Advance tickets sales only, NO tickets will be sold at the door. For more information, including accommodations, email: email@example.com
5) New Year’s Eve Dinner & Dance at Da Vinci Centre, Thursday, December 31st to the music of MC2. Dinner at 7pm, Dancing from 9pm to 1am. $80pp - call 250-383-8041.
6) New Year's Eve Dinner & dance SOLD OUT featuring the Classic Country & Rock Band the City Slickers and D J Danny Correia to play at intermission and a buffet by Casa Nova Catering. Our Lady of Fatima Hall. Champagne and party favours included. SOLD OUT
Quotes to put you in the Christmas Spirit:
Christmas is a baby shower that went totally overboard. - Andy Borowitz
Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year. - Victor Borge
My husband’s idea of getting the Christmas spirit is to become Scrooge. - Melanie White
Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry
Keep your friends close, your enemies closer, and receipts for all major purchases. - Bridger Winegar
I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying "Toys not included". - Bernard Manning
What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day. - Phyllis Diller
I haven’t taken my Christmas lights down. They look so nice on the pumpkin. - Winston Spear (I was going to decorate our pumpkin the other day but the city compost crew picked it up when I wasn’t looking).
Christmas sweaters are only acceptable as a cry for help. - Andy Borowitz
Christmas is a state of mind and that special feeling that only comes with an empty bank account. - Melanie White
I don’t mind fruitcakes. They’re the one thing during the holidays I’m not tempted to eat. - Melanie White
The office Christmas party is a great opportunity to catch up with people you haven't seen for twenty minutes. - Julius Sharpe
The Holidays are the one time you get to experience all the excitement of rush hour traffic in the mall parking lot. - Melanie White