Dances & Funnies: Feb 2-6
Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals. - Charles Baudelaire
We had some fun dance parties on the weekend - great, mysterious moves on the dance floor - especially during the very comical balloon dance. Thanks for the tremendous demonstrations by Warren & Tara and Andrew & Jane at my 30th Anniversary dance. A BIG thank you to my wife and daughter for all of their help all evening. And a special thank you to all of you who have supported our wonderful dance community over the years.
This Friday is Ballroom Night at Swing City featuring Mysterious Social Foxtrot Figures in the workshop by John at 8pm with a lively mix of Ballroom, Latin & Swing music following from 9 to 11pm.
Someone left a nice bracelet an Don's table at Swing City on Friday (I am fairly certain that it is not Don's). I have it and promise not to wear it in public.
The Swing Band Dave Lang and the Insolent Rabble will play for us on Friday, February 26th for my 30th Anniversary Swing Dance. As an added bonus Warren and Tara will teach the Swing workshop that evening. Advance tickets go on sale February 1st: $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Pick up advance tickets in class or at the next three Swing City dances.
New classes for February are now listed on the Lessons page and are open for registration. There are some fun classes on the list - I look forward to seeing you in at least one of them. Single men needed for several classes - mysterious or not - contact John soon to sign up.
My 30th Anniversary dance cruises to Europe and the Caribbean were locked in at the Canadian Dollar price last year - so these cruises are looking even better now with the Canadian dollar at 70 cents - book soon if you want a great price on a dance cruise before the cruise line decides to change the great deal we have. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, February 2 ---------------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $4
Wednesday, February 3 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Social Dance; 2-3pm Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way. Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: FREE
Friday, February 5 -----------------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance 8-11pm Workshop: Foxtrot with John at 8pm Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $10
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $10/$13
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, February 6 ----------
Event: Chinese New Year's Ballroom Dance 6:30-10:30pm Place: Les Passmore Centre, Hampton Road Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood Admission: $25 - in advance only!!
Event: Victoria WC Swing Collective Dance
Afternoon & Evening Workshops
Place: Eastern Star Hall, 3281 Harriet Road.
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $30 - see advance tickets
Event: New Imperial Social Club Dance:8-11:30pm Band: TNT: Tone Blodgett & Tom Ackerman Place: Chief & Petty Officer's Mess, 1575 Lyall St Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood Admission: $10/$14
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:30pm-12:30am Place: Burnside Gorge Community Centre, 3130 Road Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood. Admission: $5/$7/8
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am) Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood. Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) Chinese New Year Dinner Dance – Year of the Monkey on Saturday, February 6th, 2016 at the Les Passmore Centre – 286 Hampton Road: 6:30-10:30pm. $25 Advance Reservation required. Contact Roman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rennie at 250-391-1178
2) Victoria West Coast Swing Collective presents Keith and Holly Foraie, teaching 3 West Coast Swing workshops, and a fun evening of dance to practice your new skills! Saturday, February 6, 2016 - 2 afternoon workshops start at 3 PM. Evening workshop starts at 7:30 PM. At 3281 Harriet Road, Eastern Star Hall beside Rudd Park West of Uptown. Cost $30.00 for all 3 workshops and the dance! Numbers limited, so don’t delay and be disappointed. Email email@example.com with “register me” in the subject line and please include your name and phone number in the body of the email.
3) Valentines' Dance at the Da Vinci, Saturday, Feb 13th, 9pm-1am with music by Paulasonic. $15/person. Tickets available from Giovanna at 250-474-5416 or firstname.lastname@example.org
4) John's 30th Anniversary Swing Dance featuring the Dave Lang Band and Swing workshop by Warren and Tara: Friday, February 26th at Swing City (Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara). $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Contact John for tickets at email@example.com or 250-920-7556.
5) NBDS Spring Fling Dinner/Dance: Saturday, March 5th at Bowen Park Complex, 500 Bowen Rd., Nanaimo. Cocktails 6 pm, Dinner 7 pm, Dance 8:30 pm. Members $35, Non-members $40. Tickets are advance payment only at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Details on that new dinner/dance night and other upcoming NBDS events are found on the 2016 calendar at: http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/calendar/cat_ids~7/
6) West Shore Lions Club Fundraiser Dance featuring non-stop music from "Younger than Yesterday" and "Kooler" from 8:00 to 12:30 on Saturday, March 19th at the Royal Canadian Legion #91, Langford, 761 Station Ave. Advance Tickets are $18 - phone 250-478-8365 or at Long and McQuade, 756 Hillside Avenue, Victoria - ph 250-384-3622. https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dance-younger-than-yesterday-kooler-march-19-2016-tickets-20387803469
7) Pacifica Ball tickets are now on sale at http://www.rmts.bc.ca/events/pacifica-ball-risers-2016-victoria-conference-centre and at VBDS webpage www.pacificaball.ca. Full tables (10 seats) can be reserved by contacting email@example.com. The seating chart is available on both websites for reference. Presenting performances by World Cup 10-Dance winners, and 7-time undefeated Canadian Standard, Latin, & 10-dance Champions Anton Belyayev & Antoaneta Popova, and former Canadian Showdance, Smooth, and Rhythm Champions Egor Shalvarov & Alla Profatilova.
LIFE BEFORE THE COMPUTER:
- Memory was something that you lost with age
- An Application was for employment
- A Program was a TV show
- A Cursor used profanity
- A Keyboard was a piano
- A Web was a spider's home
- A Virus was the flu
- A CD was a bank account
- A Hard Drive was a long trip on the road
- A Mouse Pad was where a mouse lived
Ever notice, the older we get, the more we're like computers? We start out with lots of MEMORY and DRIVE then we become outdated, and eventually have to get parts replaced.
Home computers are the perfect thing for women who don't feel that men provide them with enough frustration!!
Help! I'm online and I can't get off!