Dances & Funnies: Nov 22-27
The only dancer you should compare yourself to, is the one you used to be - Anon
It was a great weekend of dance - a good crowd on a beautiful dance floor at Swing City and a huge crowd to say good-bye to Ron King at the closing of the Esquimalt Legion on Friday. On Saturday the West Coast Swing Fall Frolic, U.Vic Semi-Formal, VBDS closed competition, the Decades of Rock and the Latin Dance all had good turnouts so it seems the dance community is doing well in Victoria. I hope that you had a great time on the dance floor.
New classes for late November/early December (a fun 3 week mini-series) and January are listed on the Lessons Page and are now open for registration. Note - new Thursday classes for December just listed
Swing City is taking a break (the Edelweiss Club is booked for other events for the next few weeks): Our next dance will be on December 16th.
SINGLES: I have started a list for those dancers who do not have regular dance partners (a singles list). I plan to use this to help keep the classes balanced, advertise events of interest to singles and couples and set up classes and events for singles. Please note: Information on the sign up sheet is for my eyes only and will not be shared - you do not need to fill in all sections of the sign up form. If you would like to be on this list you can sign up for it at: http://eepurl.com/cfOn-n
Check out Advance Tickets below.
PLEASE NOTE: I have almost sold out of Advance Tickets for the VBDS New Year's Dance with the Commodores Big Band. Please let me know soon if you wish to join one of my tables for the event.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, November 22 -----------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm
Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood
Wednesday, November 23 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, November 25 ----------
Event: Swing City Cancelled this week
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, November 26 ----------
Event: Chinese Ladies Club Fundraiser with MC2: 8pm-midnight
Place: Commonwealth Place Gym
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Admission: $25 - see Advance Tickets
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, November 27 ----------
Event: PMP dance with Pulpmills: 7–10pm
Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave
Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum.
1) Victoria Chinese Ladies Club Winter Gala Dance, Saturday, November 26th, 8pm - midnight at Commonwealth Place. Live music with MC2, refreshments, dance demonstrations and lots of door prizes. Tickets are $25 each and are available from John de Pfyffer at email@example.com, Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at 250-658-0308.
2) NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance - Saturday December 17th from 5 pm until midnight on the BIG dance floor at Beban Park, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is John Maher. Details are posted at http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca Tickets are on sale now - email firstname.lastname@example.org - $50, $45 for NBDS and VBDS members.
3) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Early bird tickets are $65 each and are now available. I have tables set aside - let me know soon if you wish to be at one of them at the early bird rate - email me at email@example.com. Tickets for my tables are almost sold out - please contact me soon if you want tickets.
4) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ball - Saturday, December 31st, at Nanoose Place Community Centre 2925 Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose BC 9pm–1am Annual New Year’s Eve Party Dance with DJ Andy Mundy. Licensed bar. Pot luck finger foods and/or appetizers – please bring some festive edibles to share. Admission: $20 – includes complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets MUST be either purchased or reserved in advance. For tickets email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
5) Red Ginger New Year's Eve Dinner & Dance Party - Saturday, December 31st, 7pm - 12:30am (doors open at 6:30 pm) at the Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Road. Includes a fantastic hot buffet dinner with a wide variety of choices, door prizes, party favours and bubblies at midnight! Music by DJ Roman Yue. Advance tickets are $60 per person. Please contact Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at email@example.com.
Unusual Sayings and Quotes:
A good lawyer knows the law... A great lawyer knows the judge.
Good Moms let you lick the beaters... Great Moms turn them off first.
Be Yourself. Everyone else is taken...
My parents accused me of lying today. I looked at them and said "Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus" and walked away like a boss.
Please hold while I disconnect you...
Beer is the answer... but I can't remember the question.
Nothing makes a person more productive than the last minute.
You never know what you have until you clean your room.
May your life someday be as awesome as you pretend it is on Facebook.
When you really want to slap someone do it and say "Mosquito!"
I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row...
My life has a superb cast but I just can't figure out the plot.