Dances & Funnies: Nov 9-13
Don’t just dance… move the world - Rowan Nath
Okay, all of you world movers, let's see what you can do this Friday at Swing City: Get into the Swing of things with Sam Jackson when he teaches West Coast Swing in the workshop at 8pm. The dance that follows will feature West Coast Swing with a dash of Ballroom and Latin.
New classes for late November/early December (a fun 3 week mini-series) and January are listed on the Lessons Page and are now open for registration.
Sad News: Henry Lam (husband of Karen Lam) passed away early this week after a 2 year battle with cancer. Our thoughts and prayers are with Karen and her family. A memorial will be held for Henry on Thursday, November 10th at 1pm at McCall's Funeral Home, 1315 Cook St.
SINGLES: I have started a list for those dancers who do not have regular dance partners (a singles list). I plan to use this to help keep the classes balanced, advertise events of interest to singles and couples and set up classes and events for singles. Please note: Information on the sign up sheet is for my eyes only and will not be shared - you do not need to fill in all sections of the sign up form. If you would like to be on this list you can sign up for it at: http://eepurl.com/cfOn-n
Christine and I have been invited to perform at the Chinese Ladies Club Annual Fundraiser Ballroom Dance on Saturday, November 26th. We have something unique planned for the event and hope that you will come out to support a good cause. There will be food, live music by MC2, dance demos and plenty of door prizes and raffle prizes. See Advance Tickets below
Dances for the next week:
Wednesday, November 9 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, November 11 ----------
Event: Swing City Swing Dance 8-11pm
Workshop: West Coast Swing with Sam Jackson at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Latin Dance: 9pm-midnight
Band: Latin Project
Place: Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 3277 Douglas
Dance Floor: Small/Medium/Hardwood
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, November 12 ----------
Event: New Imperial Social Club: 8-10:30pm
Place: Chief & Petty Officer's Mess, 1575 Lyall St
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood.
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, November 13 ----------
Event: PMP dance with Ron King: 7–10pm
Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave
Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum.
1) The Decades of Rock Dance presented by the West Shore Lions Club features 3 bands: Younger Than Yesterday, Free Ride and Rock of Ages playing Beatles and 60's, 70's and 80's music on Saturday, November 19th from 8:30pm to 12:30am at the Canadian Legion at 761 Station Road in Langford. Advance Tickets are $20 each from 250-478-8365 or 250-384-3622.
2) UVic Ballroom Club Semi-Formal Winter Dance - Saturday, November 19th, 7:30 to 11pm. Advance tickets cost $10 dollars or $15 at the door. Tickets will be available from John de Pfyffer after November 1st.
3) The Victoria West Coast Swing Collective Fall Frolic: Saturday, November 19 featuring Claudia Houwers & David Tolksdorff from Vancouver, teaching west coast swing in afternoon workshops followed by an evening west coast swing dance from 7:30 to 11pm at the Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Road. Evening Dance: $10, All workshops and evening dance: $40. Email email@example.com with ‘Register Me’ in the subject line and please include your name and phone number in the body of the email.
4) Everyone's a Local - A Night of Local Food, Wine and Music with live music by Louise Rose & Friends on Saturday, November 19th at Cadboro Bay United Church. Featuring a Silent Auction, a Live Auction, Local Wine & Beer and Local Food (appetizers). Tickets are $15 at Cadbayuc.org or in the church office at 2625 Arbutus Road. (There may or may not be dancing...)
5) Victoria Chinese Ladies Club Winter Gala Dance, Saturday, November 26th, 8pm - midnight at Commonwealth Place. Live music with MC2, refreshments, dance demonstrations and lots of door prizes. Tickets are $25 each and are available from Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at 250-658-0308.
6) NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance - Saturday December 17th from 5 pm until midnight on the BIG dance floor at Beban Park, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is John Maher. Details are posted at http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca Tickets are on sale now - email firstname.lastname@example.org - $50, $45 for NBDS and VBDS members.
7) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Early bird tickets are $65 each and are now available. I have tables set aside - let me know soon if you wish to be at one of them at the early bird rate - email me at email@example.com
8) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ball - December 31st 2016 at Nanoose Place Community Centre 2925 Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose BC 9pm–1am Annual New Year’s Eve Party Dance with DJ Andy Mundy. Licensed bar. Pot luck finger foods and/or appetizers – please bring some festive edibles to share. Admission: $20 – includes complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets MUST be either purchased or reserved in advance. For tickets email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org
More Flight Attendant Stories;
“When exiting the plane please watch out for the low overhead door. If you forget, please watch your language.”
“Now that we’re here I’ll tell you the same thing my mother told me: Get your bags and get out!”
“Please keep your seat belts fastened and enjoy our complimentary turbulence.”
“We just found a wallet in the aisle……now that we have your attention here is some important safety information.”
“Keep your mask on until you’re told to remove it by a uniformed flight attendant. Don’t listen to the naked flight attendants, you can’t trust them.”
“Federal regulation requires passenger compliance with crew members instruction regarding seat belts and sulking.”
“This is a no smoking, no whining, no complaining flight.”
“Even though the small bag may not inflate you are receiving lots of gin, oxygen that is.”
“Sit back. Relax. Enjoy our hospitality. Or you can sit up and be tense. The choice is yours.”
“To operate your seat belt insert the metal tab into the buckle and pull tight. It works just like every other seat belt; if you don’t know how to operate a seat belt you probably shouldn’t be out in public unsupervised.”
“How about that landing? Not bad for his first day.”
“For your safety and those you might fall on, please keep your seat belt fastened.”
“For those of you that can tell the time we are 10 minutes early. So the next time we are 2-3 hours late we’ll just call it even.”
“If you don’t like humour we have exits.”
“You will find the safety briefing card in your seat pocket. It is beautiful and has lots of nice pictures.”
“Hi, I’m Captain Amanda Smith. Yes, I’m a female pilot and as a benefit if we get lost on the way I won’t be afraid to stop and ask for directions.”