Dances & Funnies: Oct 18-22
'Optimist: Someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's a cha-cha.' - Robert Brault
Time to be optimistic and a little more cheeky this Friday at Swing City: It's time to Cha Cha once again in the workshop at 8pm. The Ballroom dance that follows will have a splash of extra cheeky optimism. This will be our last dance of the month so I hope that you will make an extra effort to join us.
Do you know how to take care for your dance shoes? Here is a little video on how to do just that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x4K5us7iSA
SINGLES: I have started a list for those dancers who do not have regular dance partners (a singles list). I plan to use this to help keep the classes balanced, advertise events of interest to singles and couples and set up classes and events for singles. Please note: Information on the sign up sheet is for my eyes only and will not be shared - you do not need to fill in all sections of the sign up form. If you would like to be on this list you can sign up for it at: http://eepurl.com/cfOn-n
October dance classes are listed on the Lessons Page and start this week.
One outside cabin for our February Dance Cruise to the Caribbean has just come available. It is the last cabin we are able to get for our group and is at the reduced group rate. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Check out upcoming dances under Advance Tickets below.
Dances for the next week:
Tuesday, October 18 -----------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm
Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood
Wednesday, October 19 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, October 21 ----------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance 8-11pm
Workshop: Cha Cha with John at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, October 22 ----------
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:45pm-midnight
Place: Centennial United Church, 612 David St.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) Oktoberfest at the Edelweiss Club - Friday, October 28th and Saturday, October 29th with the S-Bahn band - members $25 and guests $35. Tickets available from 250-383-4823 or 250-380-9158.
2) Island Singles II Halloween Costume Dance - Saturday, October 29th, 9pm-1am, Da Vinci Centre, 195 Bay St. Fundraiser for Central Italy's Earthquake. $15pp. Costume Prizes. Call 250-383-8041 to reserve tickets.
3) Latin Halloween Party on Saturday, October 29th at the Ukrainian Cultural Centre, 3277 Douglas St. Dance to the live tunes of Latin Project. Tickets are $10 in advance (250-475-2585) or $15 at the door
4) The Decades of Rock Dance presented by the West Shore Lions Club features 3 bands: Younger Than Yesterday, Free Ride and Rock of Ages playing Beatles and 60's, 70's and 80's music on Saturday, November 19th from 8:30pm to 12:30am at the Canadian Legion at 761 Station Road in Langford. Advance Tickets are $20 each from 250-478-8365 or 250-384-3622.
5) Everyone's a Local - A Night of Local Food, Wine and Music with live music by Louise Rose & Friends on Saturday, November 19th at Cadboro Bay United Church. Featuring a Silent Auction, a Live Auction, Local Wine & Beer and Local Food (appetizers). Tickets are $15 at Cadbayuc.org or in the church office at 2625 Arbutus Road. (There may or may not be dancing...)
6) Victoria Chinese Ladies Club Winter Gala Dance, Saturday, November 26th, 8pm - midnight at Commonwealth Place. Live music with MC2, refreshments, dance demonstrations and lots of door prizes. Tickets are $25 each and are available from Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at 250-658-0308.
7) NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance - Saturday December 17th from 5 pm until midnight on the BIG dance floor at Beban Park, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is John Maher. Details are posted at http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca. Tickets are on sale now - email email@example.com - $50, $45 for NBDS and VBDS members.
8) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Early bird tickets are $65 each and are now available. I have tables set aside - let me know soon if you wish to be at one of them at the early bird rate - email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
9) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ball - December 31st 2016 at Nanoose Place Community Centre 2925 Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose BC 9pm–1am Annual New Year’s Eve Party Dance with DJ Andy Mundy. Licensed bar. Pot luck finger foods and/or appetizers – please bring some festive edibles to share. Admission:$20 – includes complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets MUST be either purchased or reserved in advance. For tickets email Sara at email@example.com
Aunty Acid Senior Coffee Mug Quotes:
I never use my Turn Signal.
It's nobody's business where I'm freakin' going.
I try to aviod things that make be fat...
...Like scales, mirrors and photographs.
If life's a journey, mine is between the fridge and the computer.
I think Snow White had the right idea...
She moved in with 7 guys who went to work every day and all she had to do was whistle to get the birds to do her cleaning!
My book club only reads wine labels.
I always offer two dinner choices:
1) take it or 2) leave it
Instead of cleaning the house, I just turn off the lights.
I drink coffee
...for your protection.
Instead of a sign that says 'Do Not Disturb,'
I need one that says 'Already disturbed, proceed with caution.'
Sometimes I panic and think there's a crazy person in my house.
Then I realize it's just me.
I'm on a nut free diet...
I avoid people who drive me nuts.