Dances & Funnies: Oct 3-7
To dance is human. To polka is devine. - K.D. Lang
In the Autumn our feet need to polka. Bring your feet to Swing City for the polka workshop at 8pm this Friday. Stay for a great social dance from 9 to 11pm.
New Classes for October are listed on the Lessons Page.
See Advance Tickets for some great upcoming events.
Thank you to everyone who donated dance shoes to U.Vic. The students in the U.Vic dance club are very grateful.
Happy Birthday to 28 dancers who celebrate birthdays in October: You get a free ticket to Swing City in October. Click on the 'update your preferences' link at the bottom of the newsletter to add your birthday info (month & day only) and you will get a free ticket to swing city in your birthday month. Happy Birthday to: Arne P, Tim D, Jay N, Ev K. Kimberly M, Kelly E, Anita C, Mary S, Beverly S, Derrell S, Nicole H, Maxine D, Sue M, Wayne S, Deborah C, Adrian M, Lee-Anne M, Clarence G, Michelia Y, Lisa H, Conway C, Ken S, Aranka S, Bonnie T, Dawn B, Marnie S, Virginia K and Richard P.
Bring in the New Year in style with the Commodores 18 Piece Band I will co-host this New Year's dance at the Edelweiss Club. Advance tickets available October 1st.
Dances for the next week
Tuesday, October 3 -----------
Event: West Coast Swing Collective: 7:45 to 9:45pm
Place: Eastern Star Hall; 3281 Harriet Road
Dance Floor: Medium/Hardwood
Wednesday, October 4 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, October 6 ----------
Event: Swing City Ballroom Dance
Workshop: Polka with John at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Argentine Tango 8pm-1am
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, October 7 ----------
Event: NBDS 36th Anniversary Dinner/Dance 5-11pm
Place: Bowen Park Auditorium, Nanaimo
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Admission: See Advance Tickets Below
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Bert Richman building, 4105 Lambrick Way
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Latin Dance, 8:30pm-1am
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
1) NBDS 36th Anniversary Dinner/Dance - on Saturday, October 7th at Bowen Park Auditorium in Nanaimo. Tickets are $45 each for the dinner/dance and $15 for just the dance. See the menu and other details at http://ballroomnanaimo.ca/events/anniversary-dinner-dance-2/ Tickets are available from John at firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Victoria West Coast Swing Collective Fall Frolic: Saturday, October 21 featuring Pamela Podmoroff from Vancouver, BC Two afternoon workshops from 2 to 4:15pm and one evening workshop at 7:30pm followed by a dance from 8:30 to 11pm with the Deb Rhymer Band at the Les Passmore Centre. Email email@example.com with ‘Register Me’ in the subject line and we will send you your payment options.
3) Oktoberfest 2017 at the Victoria Edelweiss Club. Friday, October 27 and Saturday, October 28 with music provided by S-Bahn. Members $25. Guests $35. Authentic German cuisine available to purchase. Doors open at 7pm, Adults Only, Tickets Non Refundable. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250 383-4823 and leave a message. Tickets will sell quickly and will not be available at the door.
4) West Shore Lions Club Decades of Rock Fundraising Dance: Saturday, November 18th at the Royal Canadian Legion, 761 Station Rd, Langford. Three Bands - Younger than Yesterday, Free Ride and Rock of Ages - play Beatles, 60's, 70's & 80's music from 8:30pm to 12:30am. Advance tickets are $20 from 250-384-3622 or on line at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/west-shore-lions-dance-decades-of-rock-show-tickets-37620828912
5) Formal New Year's Ball with the Commodores Big Band: Join John and Carla for a fun, formal New Year's Eve Ball at the Edelweiss Club on Sunday, December 31st from 8pm to 12:30am. There will be party favours, a full bar, light snacks and appetizers at 10pm, a wonderful big band and incredible break music by DJ Johnny deP. Tickets go on sale October 1st: $60/person. Tickets are limited so please reserve your tickets soon.
What is going on at the White House:
Donald Trump met with the Queen of England, and he asked her, "Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any tips you could give me?"
"Well," replied the Queen, "the most important thing is to surround yourself with intelligent people."
Trump frowned, and then asked, "But how do I know the people around me are really intelligent?"
The Queen took a sip of tea. "Oh, that's easy; you just ask them to answer an intelligent riddle."
The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. "Please send Theresa May in here, would you?"
Theresa May walked into the room and said, "Yes, Your Majesty?"
The Queen smiled and said, "Answer me this, if you would, Theresa. Your mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your sister. Who is it?"
Without pausing for a moment, Theresa May answered, "That would be me."
"Yes! Very good," said the Queen.
Trump went back home to ask Mike Pence the same question. “ Mike, answer this for me. Your mother and your father have a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?"
"I'm not sure," said Pence. "Let me get back to you on that one." He went to his advisers and asked everyone, but none could give him an answer.
Finally, Pence ran in to Sarah Palin in a restaurant the next night. Pence asked, "Sarah, can you answer this for me? Your mother and father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister. Who is it?"
Sarah Palin answered right back, "That's easy, it's me!" Pence smiled, and said, "Thanks!"
Pence then, went back to speak with Trump. "Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that riddle.
It's Sarah Palin!"
Trump got up, stomped over to Pence, and angrily yelled, "No, you idiot! It's Theresa May!"
...and that my friends is precisely what is going on at the White House...