Dances & Funnies - Sept 14-18
Dancing is like bank robbery. It takes split-second timing. - Twyla Tharp
Dancers don't rob banks - they're having too much fun on the dance floor. Some dance classes have started but some start in the next few days. West Coast Swing courses start this evening, Gold classes start Monday and the Beginner Waltz and Foxtrot class was delayed one week and will start this coming Friday. See the list of classes below.
Get your Latin shoes on and head out to Swing City this Friday. Learn about the dance of love in the workshop at 8pm then stay for the dance.
If you missed the great video in last week's newsletter about another positive influence of dance then check it out this week - a member of our dance community is dealing with Parkinson's with the help of dance. Sukhi gave me permission to share this Shaw cable release with all of you. It was great to see Sukhi and Tammy out at a very fun Swing City dance on Friday. Check out the video at: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K92vmd-Fjf4
One outside cabin for our February Dance Cruise to the Caribbean has just come available. It is the last cabin we are able to get for our group and is at the reduced group rate. Email me at email@example.com for more information.
Check out several BIG upcoming dances under Advance Tickets below.
Get your tickets now for the only Saturday evening Ballroom Dance I will host this Fall - my last 30th Anniversary event - the Big Band Fundraising Costume Ball on October 29th. See details under advance tickets.
There is only one more week left to book early bird advance tickets for my tables for the VBDS New Years Ball - more info under advance tickets below.
Dances for the next week:
Wednesday September 14 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, September 16 ----------
Event: Swing City Swing Dance 8-11pm
Workshop: Rumba with John at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, September 17 ----------
Event: Nothin' But Swing, 8:45pm-midnight
Place: Centennial United Church, 612 David St.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, September 18 ----------
Event: PMP dance with Ron King: 7–10pm
Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave
Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum.
1) The Last Farewell Social Dance - hosted by Roman & Rennie. This is Roman and Rennie's retirement dance - the last dance they will host. Saturday, October 1st at Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Road, 8 - 10:30 pm Door open at 7:30 pm. $15pp. firstname.lastname@example.org 250-391-1178
2) 35th Anniversary NBDS Dinner & Dance - Saturday October 1st from 5 pm until midnight at the Bowen Park Recreation Center, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is Nelson Wong. Tickets: Dinner & Dance – Members = $35 Nonmembers = $40 Dance Only – Members = $10, Nonmembers = $15, For tickets: please contact Sara at email@example.com Dinner will be catered by Coastal Culinary Creations
3) Oktoberfest at the Edelweiss Club - Saturday, October 15th with the Victoria Accordion Club and Ron Sera - members $15, guests $20. Also Friday, October 28th and Saturday, October 29th with the S-Bahn band - members $25 and guests $35. Tickets available from 250-383-4823 or 250-380-9158.
4) John's Big Band Halloween Costume Ball - featuring the Commodores Big Band at SJ Willis Auditorium on Saturday, October 29th at 8pm. Desserts, non-alcoholic refreshments and plenty of dance music included. Tickets go on sale on Tuesday, September 6th at 9am when you can reserve by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets ($30pp) will be sold for couples and for tables of ten.
5) West Shore Lions Club presents the Decades of Rock Dance with 3 bands: Younger Than Yesterday, Free Ride and Rock of Ages playing Beatles and 60's, 70's and 80's music on Saturday, November 19th from 8:30pm to 12:30am at the Canadian Legion at 761 Station Road in Langford. Advance Tickets are $20 each from 250-478-8365 or 250-384-3622.
6) NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance - Saturday December 17th from 5 pm until midnight at the Bowen Park Recreation Center, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is Nelson Wong. Tickets will go on sale on October 1st.
7) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Early bird tickets are $65 each and will be available September 17th. I will be purchasing a few tables - Please email me before September 10th if you wish to be at one of my tables at the event - email@example.com.
Phyllis Diller was a very funny lady - I sent some of these before, but I figured they are worth sending again.
A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
Any time three New Yorkers get into a cab without an argument, a bank has just been robbed.
Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight.
Housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?
If it weren't for baseball, many kids wouldn't know what a millionaire looked like.
Aim high, and you won't shoot your foot off.
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shovelling the sidewalk before it stops snowing.
You know you're old when someone compliments you on your alligator shoes, and you're barefoot.
The reason women don't play football is because 11 of them would never wear the same outfit in public.
Best way to get rid of kitchen odors: Eat out.
A bachelor is a guy who never made the same mistake once.
I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford. Then I want to move in with them.
Most children threaten at times to run away from home. This is the only thing that keeps some parents going.
We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next twelve years telling them to sit down and shut up.
Burt Reynolds once asked me out. I was in his room.
What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day.
The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.
Old age is when the liver spots show through your gloves.
My photographs don't do me justice - they just look like me.
Tranquillizers work only if you follow the advice on the bottle - keep away from children.
I asked the waiter, 'Is this milk fresh?' He said, 'Lady, three hours ago it was grass.'
The reason the golf pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't see him laughing.
You know you're old if they have discontinued your blood type.