Pre-Christmas Dances & Funnies: Dec 14-18
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Find yourself this Friday at Swing City and make up for all of those lost dance days with our last West Coast Swing event of 2016. See you there.
Give the Gift of Dance this Christmas: Be a good Dancer (not a Donner or a Blitzen, but more like a Fred or a Ginger) and give your friends and family a reason to dance around the Christmas tree this year (treat yourself as well): Gift Certificates for Group Lessons or Private Lessons are now available - I am offering a great 5 for 4 private lesson dance card again this year. Email me at email@example.com or call 250-920-7556 for more info.
New classes for January are listed on the Lessons Page and are now open for registration. They start very early in the new year so register early.
Vote for the Dance Party: Okay, the Dance Party as a political entity is still only a distant waltz, but perhaps we can do something to keep it on the dance floor. The Green Party put together a survey in response to the recent Federal Liberal Party on-line survey. Dance your way through it - it only takes 2 minutes and asks much better questions: http://green.ca/the-real-questions
SINGLES: I have started a list for those dancers who do not have regular dance partners (a singles list). I plan to use this to help keep the classes balanced, advertise events of interest to singles and couples and set up classes and events for singles. Please note: Information on the sign up sheet is for my eyes only and will not be shared - you do not need to fill in all sections of the sign up form. If you would like to be on this list you can sign up for it at: http://eepurl.com/cfOn-n
Check out Advance Tickets below.
Dances for the next week:
Wednesday, December 14 -----------
Event: Seniors (55+) Line Dance 1-2 pm, Social dance 2-3 pm
Place: Gordon Head Rec Center, 4100 Lambrick Way.
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Friday, December 16 ----------
Event: Swing City West Coast Swing Dance 8-11pm
Workshop: West Coast Swing with Sam Jackson at 8pm
Place: Victoria Edelweiss Club, 108 Niagara
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Red Hot Swing, 8:30pm - 12:30am
Place: Dance Victoria on Quadra
Dance Floor: Medium, Hardwood.
Event: Argentine Tango (8pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca, 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Small/Medium, wood
Admission: $10 workshop & dance plus $2 consumption charge
Saturday, December 17 ----------
Event: NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance: 5pm-midnight
Place: Beban Park, Nanaimo
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood.
Admission: $45/$50 - See Advance Tickets
Event: Social Ballroom Dance: 8-10:30pm
Place: Les Passmore Centre
Dance Floor: Large/Hardwood
Event: Latin Dance, (8:30pm-1am)
Place: Café Casablanca 2524 Bridge Street
Dance Floor: Medium/Small, Hardwood.
Admission: $10 plus $2 consumption charge
Sunday, December 18 ----------
Event: PMP Christmas Dinner/Dance with MC2: 7–10pm
Place: Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Ave
Dance Floor: Large, Linoleum.
Admission: $27 - in advance only - see below
1) NBDS Christmas Gala Dinner & Dance - Saturday December 17th from 5 pm until midnight on the BIG dance floor at Beban Park, Nanaimo. 5pm – 6pm Cocktail hour; 6pm Dinner; 7:30pm Dancing - your DJ is John Maher. Details are posted at http://www.ballroomnanaimo.ca Tickets are on sale now - email firstname.lastname@example.org - $50, $45 for NBDS and VBDS members.
2) PMP Christmas Dinner/Dance with MC2 - Sunday, December 18th. 7-10pm at the Monterey Centre, 1442 Monterey Avenue. Advance tickets only - available from the Monterey Center at 250-370-7300.
3) VBDS New Year's Eve Ball featuring the Commodores Big Band - Saturday, December 31st at Commonwealth Place. Includes late evening snacks. Tickets are $75 each and are available from the VBDS at their practices. Tickets for my six tables are sold out.
4) NBDS New Year’s Eve Ball - Saturday, December 31st, at Nanoose Place Community Centre 2925 Northwest Bay Rd, Nanoose BC 9pm–1am Annual New Year’s Eve Party Dance with DJ Andy Mundy. Licensed bar. Pot luck finger foods and/or appetizers – please bring some festive edibles to share. Admission: $20 – includes complimentary champagne toast at midnight. Tickets MUST be either purchased or reserved in advance. For tickets email Sara at email@example.com
5) Red Ginger New Year's Eve Dinner & Dance Party - Saturday, December 31st, 7pm - 12:30am (doors open at 6:30 pm) at the Les Passmore Centre, 286 Hampton Road. Includes a fantastic hot buffet dinner with a wide variety of choices, door prizes, party favors and bubblies at midnight! Music by DJ Roman Yue. Advance tickets are $60 per person. Please contact Linda Ng at 250-727-5838 or Betty Choy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6) Latin New Year's Eve Dance - Dance to the live tunes of two latin bands: Latin Project & Edgar y Los Amigos on Saturday, December 31st, 9:30pm-1:30am. At the Ukrainian Cultural Centre. Tickets are $15. Visit http://www.LatinProject.Ca for more info.
7) New Year's Eve Dinner/Dance at the Edelweiss Club with the SBahn Band: Buffet Dinner by Connoissseur Catering - 7pm-1am. $170/couple members, $190/couple guests. Tickets –Victoria.email@example.com or call 250 383-4823.
8) New Year's Eve Dinner/Dance at the Da Vinci Centre with MC2: Doors open at 6pm with dinner at 7pm catered by the Island Culinary Service. Dancing to MC2 from 9pm to 1am. Tickets are $80pp from 250-383-8041.
Parent's Dictionary of Meanings:
DUMBWAITER: one who asks if the kids would care to order dessert.
FEEDBACK: the inevitable result when the baby doesn't appreciate the strained carrots.
FULL NAME: what you call your child when you're mad at him.
GRANDPARENTS: the people who think your children are wonderful even though they're sure you're not raising them right.
HEARSAY: what toddlers do when anyone mutters a dirty word.
INDEPENDENT: how we want our children to be as long as they do everything we say.
OW: the first word spoken by children with older siblings
PUDDLE: a small body of water that draws other small bodies wearing dry shoes into it.
SHOW OFF: a child who is more talented than yours.
STERILIZE: what you do to your first baby's pacifier by boiling it, and to your last baby's pacifier by blowing on it and wiping it with saliva.
TOP BUNK: where you should never put a child wearing Superman jammies.
VERBAL: able to whine in words
WHODUNIT: none of the kids that live in your house